Groovy version detection

Christopher Smith (chrylis)
I just updated my Maven-based Groovy project to 2.4 and updated my Spock versions to `-groovy-2.4` with them. I was surprised to see the Spock compiler refuse to work with a reported version 2.3.7, which appears to be because of the groovy-eclipse-batch plugin, even though I'm using a 2.4 runtime.

Are the Spock incompatibilities with the different Groovy minors compiler-dependent or just issues with the runtime? Are there known issues between `-groovy-2.4` and the 2.3 compiler series?