GroovySpy on abstract class?

Steve Storck
Hello.  I tried to make some of my utility classes abstract, since they only have static methods.  These are, of course, goovy classes.  However, when I tried to use a GroovySpy on them, I got an instantiation exception.  I suspect that I cannot use a GroovySpy on abstract classes, but I wanted to run it by the group and see if I'm doing something wrong, since I've been known to do that before! ;)  Is my suspicion correct, or is there a way to do this?

Thanks,
Steve