Property-based testing and shrinking

Russel Winder-2
Clearly one can do some property-based testing using Spock by manually
generating values. However the "Big Thing"™ about property-based
testing frameworks is the shrinking when an error is found. Has anyone
progressed the automatic generation and shrinking in Spock?

--
Russel.

Re: Property-based testing and shrinking

Marcin Zajączkowski
On 2015-12-21 13:06, Russel Winder wrote:
> Clearly one can do some property-based testing using Spock by manually
> generating values. However the "Big Thing"™ about property-based
> testing frameworks is the shrinking when an error is found. Has anyone
> progressed the automatic generation and shrinking in Spock?

It's not a direct answer to your question, but recently NCR Edinburgh
has open sourced their property-based testing for Java 8 - QuickTheories
[1]. It is a testing framework agnostic, supports shrinking and should
be capable to run it from Spock (I haven't tested it yet).

It could be probably useful to wrap it in some form to be easier to use
in the Spock way, however at the moment I'm not sure how could it look like.

[1] - https://github.com/NCR-CoDE/QuickTheories

Marcin

--
http://blog.solidsoft.info/ - Working code is not enough